With machines ruling the world, our house kitchen is no exception to using equipment that reduces our work. There have been several machines and equipment that we use in our kitchen that make our life easier. A food processor is one such versatile and efficient appliance that is a must in everyone’s kitchen. This electronic appliance is used for several purposes like chopping, pureeing, blending, etc. Similar to blenders, food processors come with blades and disks. However, these blades and disks are interchangeable. Unlike blenders that require a little liquid for the movement, food processors mostly operate with only a little quantity of liquid and even without the need for liquid.
Why Buy a Food Processor?
Like all electronic devices are aimed to reduce human work, food processors serve the same functionality. They reduce everyday kitchen tasks to a great extent.
From preparing smoothies to kneading dough, food processors can handle it all.
A food processor is capable of performing the following kitchen tasks:
- Slicing and Chopping
- Kneading dough
- Shredding and grating
However, the size of a food processor is a little big for a small kitchen. But there are mini food processors of small sizes available in the market as well.
How to Choose a Food Processor?
With various food processors in the market available for purchase, it is confusing to choose the best food processor to add to your kitchen.
Following are the tips or parameters on which you should select a food processor:
- Size and Capacity – There is a wide range of sizes available for food processors varying from a small 3-cup chopper to a 20-cup processor. It is thereby important to understand the need first, and it depends on the number of people to serve and the kind of recipes to be prepared. If the requirement is for a restaurant, then the large versions are needed; however, if the need is to serve a three or four-family, then the 11-cup processor should suffice.
- Power – It is crucial to choose a food processor capable of handling tough tasks like chopping raw carrots and kneading a tough dough. Perhaps, the food processor may not chop or combine uniformly and efficiently and even burn out while handling such tough jobs. It is recommended that a food processor with a motor of 600 watts is chosen for a full-sized processor (9cups or greater).
- Accessories and attachments – Food processors are available with several accessories such as multiple disks of varying thickness for slicing and grating, different sized bowls and dishes, and attachments that convert the processor into a dough kneading machine or into a juicer. These accessories and attachments are provided to maximize the use of the food processor. However, these accessories come with a separate price. So, it again becomes essential to understand your need for buying a food processor.
Food Processors are designed to cut out kitchen prep tasks’ hard work ranging from chopping to blending and mixing and others. Well, a good food processor is surely a boon, and you can easily whizz your kitchen prep task. They come with diverse attachments and important to pick the one that will take care of all the jobs, easy to use and clean. They are designed to prepare meals and have quick food hassle-free. They can be a bit on the bulkier side, but smaller or mini versions are also made known as mini choppers.
The amount you spend on buying a food processor will depend on your requirement and usage frequency. Mini choppers can cost you about a third of the premium food processors. It is also important to look at expert reviews on the best food processor available in the market and look at customer reviews of the product on the retail website.
But preceding this, comes the purpose and requirement of a food processor to be catered and it’s important to have a view of the best tips for purchasing an appliance. Once sorted, it’s also time to compare and contrast a mini chopper and a full-sized food processor. The best food processor comes in various sizes like a mini chopper or a full-fledged appliance.
- Accessories: Ensure that your food processor has all the tools you need to use. Best food processorin the market offers you a jug blender attachment for smooth blending of soups and smoothies. It all depends on the purpose that you want to serve.
- Size and Weight: Have a background check as to the kitchen counter space available to be occupied by the appliance and check for the cabinets’ heights that may obstruct the feeding tubes or the lids.
- Bowl Size: Large capacity bowls translate to enable you, making bigger batches and smaller bowls available. It’s useful when you have only a small amount of food to processes such as herbs or nuts.
- Large Feeding Tube: Some of them come with a lid with a wider feed tube to process larger items like potatoes and cucumbers without the need for chopping them first.
Types of Choppers
The full-sized processors are used for tackling most cooking and baking tasks but tend to be on the expensive side and are often bulkier. They are also used for multi-tasking like slicing, grating, chopping, blending, and other conventional features. Some of them even have attachments to help with baking tasks and is especially important when you don’t have enough space to go for a separate baker.
Mini choppers are on the affordable side, apart from being compact and portable. But unlike versatile food processors, they lack processors and are limited only to chopping and pureeing. Only a few of them can whip cream along with its other functions of chop and puree.
Thus, with the above tips, it becomes clear that one needs to learn about his/her requirements before purchasing, which will indeed help decide upon the best food processor for your requisite.